A Poet's Blog: Roger N.Taber shares his thoughts & poems...

Thoughts and observations by English poet Roger N. Taber, a retired librarian and poet-novelist.- "Ethnicity, Religion, Gender, Sexuality ... these are but parts of a whole. It is the whole that counts." RNT [NB While I have no wish to create a social network, I will always reply to critical emails about my poetry. Contact: rogertab@aol.com].

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Sadly, a bad fall in 2012 has left me with a mobility problem, and being diagnosed with prostate cancer the same year hasn't helped, but I get out and about with my trusty walking stick as much as I can, take each day as it comes and try to keep looking on the bright(er) side of life. Many of my poems reflect the need to nurture a positive-thinking mindset whatever life throws at us.

Wednesday 22 February 2012

Among Slaves

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Here in the West, we often take our freedom for granted; (relative) freedom of speech, (relative) freedom of movement, the (relative) freedom to protest and more all come under the general heading, Democracy.

We have only to look at recent events in the Far East and North Africa to understand that we should never take any freedoms for granted.

The poem is a kenning. It last appeared on the blog in 2009, and if anyone is interested in hearing me read it, just click on the link below which will take you to my (very) informal poetry reading on the 4th plinth in London’s Trafalgar Square, July 14th 2009. I included Among Slaves (without alternative title) among other poems as my contribution to sculptor Antony Gormley’s One and Other ‘living sculpture’ project. However, I should warn you that it lasts an hour. [The entire web stream showing all 2,400 people doing their ‘own thing’ for an hour (each) on the plinth is now archived in the British Library; to access all 100 days 24/7  simply remove Roger_T from the end of the link.]:

http://www.webarchive.org.uk/wayback/archive/20100223121732/oneandother.co.uk/participants/Roger_T [NB.Sept 19, 2019: Today, the British Library confirmed that the link blow to the 4th plinth reading in 1999 is no longer available as the video is incompatible with an updated IT system. However, I am assured that the video still exists, and B L hope to make it available to the public again one day. Fingers crossed, and watch this space.] RNT

AMONG SLAVES

I am that breath of wind in the hair
inviting the human spirit to confess
its foibles, rise above its troubles,
show the world what it’s made of
though its back forced against a wall,
those vultures, prejudice and fear,
homing in to pick clean the bones of
fathers, mothers, sisters and brothers
lured by false witness here

I am that first kiss of rain on the face,
drawing on the human spirit to open
its heart as a flower its petals to the sky,
lend its beauty to the eye so we do not
pass by but pause to reflect on the how
and why of its being, and ours, reasons
to deny the vultures a victory, let nature
tell a story bitter-sweet of humanity’s
attempts to compete

I am that first angry tug at the sleeve
urging the human spirit to turn away
from its prejudices and fears, confront
our lesser selves head-on and expose
them for what they are, though it test us
the more by far...take people as we find,
respecting their privacy, acknowledging
their integrity, learning from a natural
ingenuity to survive

Among slaves of time, I am eyes and ears
who call me Freedom and wipe my tears

[From: Accomplices to Illusion by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2007]

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home