A Poet's Blog: Roger N.Taber shares his thoughts & poems...

Thoughts and observations by English poet Roger N. Taber, a retired librarian and poet-novelist.- "Ethnicity, Religion, Gender, Sexuality ... these are but parts of a whole. It is the whole that counts." RNT [NB While I have no wish to create a social network, I will always reply to critical emails about my poetry. Contact: rogertab@aol.com].

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Sadly, a bad fall in 2012 has left me with a mobility problem, and being diagnosed with prostate cancer the same year hasn't helped, but I get out and about with my trusty walking stick as much as I can, take each day as it comes and try to keep looking on the bright(er) side of life. Many of my poems reflect the need to nurture a positive-thinking mindset whatever life throws at us.

Monday 13 February 2012

Love Is...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Today's poem last appeared on the blog in the autumn of 2010. It is repeated here today for no other reason that I am in the mood for love...

Not romantically linked to anyone? Feeling low because it’s Valentine’s Day tomorrow?

Never mind, love comes in all shapes and forms. Most of us have family and/or friends and /or pets. If you have none of these, all the more reason for those of us who live alone, and often feel alone, to stop feeling sorry for ourselves, look at ways to get a life and GO for it. I live alone so this is my cue to say "Thank you for your company." to my many blog readers around the world. I have a few good friends, yes, but even the best of friends are not available 24/7, yet I can go into my blogs and be among friends any time.


LOVE IS...

Love is, oh, so beautiful,
no matter who, where, how or why,
nor always reciprocal but lets us laugh,
lets us cry, like champagne bringing
a tear to an eye long since made dry
by seasons much like a child’s first toys,
treasures once, now barely worth a sigh.
Oh, we get by, our reasons for living
worthy enough and true, yet going through
the motions of existence without existing;
getting up, going to bed, getting up again
without kissing sunshine, embracing rain,
warming ourselves at the hot coals
of humanity when struck by the cold
of everyday insanity. We are who we are,
no matter how or why, nor always free
(or able) to sing, laugh, cry, with those
around us - to whom we mean everything.
So let us hear skylarks sing, if not always
the same song, see love work a miracle,
no matter whether reciprocal in every
shape or form. Love alone keeps us safe,
keeps us warm. Let the world do its worst;
love will shelter us, nor will its spirit fail
to lead the way though it shine differently,
at the end of this or that tunnel,
a light, oh, so beautiful


[From: A Feeling for the Quickness of Time by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2005]

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home