A Poet's Blog: Roger N.Taber shares his thoughts & poems...

Thoughts and observations by English poet Roger N. Taber, a retired librarian and poet-novelist.- "Ethnicity, Religion, Gender, Sexuality ... these are but parts of a whole. It is the whole that counts." RNT [NB While I have no wish to create a social network, I will always reply to critical emails about my poetry. Contact: rogertab@aol.com].

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Sadly, a bad fall in 2012 has left me with a mobility problem, and being diagnosed with prostate cancer the same year hasn't helped, but I get out and about with my trusty walking stick as much as I can, take each day as it comes and try to keep looking on the bright(er) side of life. Many of my poems reflect the need to nurture a positive-thinking mindset whatever life throws at us.

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Castaways

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

[Update, May 13th 2019: Saddened to hear about the death of Doris Day today at the age of 97. She had a great voice, was a very accomplished actress and will always be fondly remembered by her legion of fans, not least by yours truly; she will remain in our collective posthumous consciousness forever ...] RNT

Today’s poem was inspired by a song recorded by Doris Day called 'Love's Little Island' (1955). I love this recording and (along with 'Secret Love') have carried it in my head for many years. As far as I can recall, it begins with the line, 'I am the castaway on love's little island...' I suspect many of us can relate to that.

This is one of two poems I have written by way of a tribute to Doris Day. She had a great voice and, in my opinion, has always been underrated as an actress. I have always been a D D fan and here she is, still looking great ...

Doris was born on April 3rd 1922 ... which makes her ...wow!

Photo (Update) Internet, April 2014

CASTAWAYS

Washed up on an island
in a misty dream,
passing centuries shadowing us
(wings across golden sand)

Game to explore an island
in a misty dream,
fair memories waving back at us
(castle flags on golden sand)

Last seen kissing on an island,
sea mist closing in,
too soon, time’s tide covering us
(footprints on golden sand)

Closer to nature on an island,
(love’s ageless dream)
earth’s descant surely winging us,
seabirds across golden sand

As golden sand to ocean waves
are the world’s lovers…
nature (as ever) playing its part
in sync with the human heart


Copyright R. N. Taber 2010

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home