A Poet's Blog: Roger N.Taber shares his thoughts & poems...

Thoughts and observations by English poet Roger N. Taber, a retired librarian and poet-novelist.- "Ethnicity, Religion, Gender, Sexuality ... these are but parts of a whole. It is the whole that counts." RNT [NB While I have no wish to create a social network, I will always reply to critical emails about my poetry. Contact: rogertab@aol.com].

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Sadly, a bad fall in 2012 has left me with a mobility problem, and being diagnosed with prostate cancer the same year hasn't helped, but I get out and about with my trusty walking stick as much as I can, take each day as it comes and try to keep looking on the bright(er) side of life. Many of my poems reflect the need to nurture a positive-thinking mindset whatever life throws at us.

Tuesday 3 January 2012

Epiphany On Hampstead Heath


Hampstead Heath has not seen any snow (yet) this winter, but I went for a stroll there only yesterday afternoon in brilliant sunshine, and ...it felt GOOD to be alive.

Photo: Hampstead heath in Winter

EPIPHANY ON HAMPSTEAD HEATH

I stood on Parliament Hill
watching children playing in the snow,
wondering where, oh, where
did my childhood go? And the rosy faces
became those I used to know

I walked on Parliament Hill
though a shrill wintry wind sure to blow,
sounds of laughter in my ears
of long, long ago but faded soon enough
among tears I’d come to know

I paused on Parliament Hill
admiring London’s heady New Year show,
wondering where, oh, where
did Santa go? But in a vast maze of streets
that in time I came to know

I descended Parliament Hill,
among sledge marks churning up the snow,
to a coming of age… where
the carefree days and ways of my childhood
may haunt but dare not follow

At the foot of Parliament Hill
I made my way home, thoughtful and slow,
mindful of an epiphany…when
I embraced the cheers and fears of adulthood
on the Heath, one January snow

Copyright R. N. Taber 2009

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home