A Poet's Blog: Roger N.Taber shares his thoughts & poems...

Thoughts and observations by English poet Roger N. Taber, a retired librarian and poet-novelist.- "Ethnicity, Religion, Gender, Sexuality ... these are but parts of a whole. It is the whole that counts." RNT [NB While I have no wish to create a social network, I will always reply to critical emails about my poetry. Contact: rogertab@aol.com].

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Sadly, a bad fall in 2012 has left me with a mobility problem, and being diagnosed with prostate cancer the same year hasn't helped, but I get out and about with my trusty walking stick as much as I can, take each day as it comes and try to keep looking on the bright(er) side of life. Many of my poems reflect the need to nurture a positive-thinking mindset whatever life throws at us.

Tuesday 2 July 2013

G-O-D, Live Metaphor OR What's in a Name...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Various religions have their own ideas about God, me, I found a sense of peace and spirituality in nature and, for all I know, maybe God is there. Maybe God IS nature...

Does it really matter where we look, how we find or even what we call God?

We are all human beings, created in much the same way to share this sorry planet of ours. So why oh, why, is it that more people can’t put their differences aside and be happy to share what they have in common?

As I gave said before and regular readers will know only too well (I often repeat myself) our differences don’t make us different, only human.

This poem is a kenning, first published in Italy (2006) and subsequently in my collection.

G-O-D, LIVE METAPHOR or WHAT’S IN A NAME...?

Call me what you will, I mean well
though my better intentions mistaken
for gross interference in the ways
of man, woman and child. Navigator
rather than manipulator am I, ready
to guide, lead, through a maze of super
highways, slip roads, dirt tracks,
if suspected of conspiring with nature
against civilization

Call me what you will, I mean well
though my better intentions mistaken
for confrontation with man, woman
and child over some trespass or other
against commandments set in stone
by those rewriting to their own design,
crossing humanity’s thin red line,
always ready to point s finger of blame
in my direction

Call me what you will, I mean well
though my better intentions mistaken
for retribution, sporting with fragile
emotions, playing false at devotions,
wrecking the well laid plans of mice
and men without so much as offering
any explanation, feeding on the likes
of Faith, Hope and Charity to sustain
an enduring loyalty

Call me what you will, I mean well
whatever G-O-D made to spell

Copyright R. N. Taber 2006; 2013


[Note: This poem has been slightly revised from the original as it appears under the title 'What' in a Name?' in The Sound of Silence, TATL (Italy) 2006 and subsequently 1st eds. of Accomplices To Illusion by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2007; revised ed. in e-format in preparation.]

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home