A Poet's Blog: Roger N.Taber shares his thoughts & poems...

Thoughts and observations by English poet Roger N. Taber, a retired librarian and poet-novelist.- "Ethnicity, Religion, Gender, Sexuality ... these are but parts of a whole. It is the whole that counts." RNT [NB While I have no wish to create a social network, I will always reply to critical emails about my poetry. Contact: rogertab@aol.com].

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Sadly, a bad fall in 2012 has left me with a mobility problem, and being diagnosed with prostate cancer the same year hasn't helped, but I get out and about with my trusty walking stick as much as I can, take each day as it comes and try to keep looking on the bright(er) side of life. Many of my poems reflect the need to nurture a positive-thinking mindset whatever life throws at us.

Wednesday 19 December 2018

Celebrations ringing True, ringing False

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Sometime next year, hopefully in the spring, a selection of my general and  gay-interest poems will be published by Austin Macauley (London and New York); it is the first time a mixed selection of new and revised poems will be so widely available in bookstores around the world, and I am hoping it will fare well enough to allow for a follow-up volume. Here is no money in poetry, of course, but your support can only help give it a stronger voice in the modern world. I am 72 now, and have been living with prostate cancer for nearly eight years so may well be living on borrowed time. One day, the Grim Reaper will come calling, and I dare say my blogs will eventually descend into some digital Black Hole …

Ah, but still looking on the bright side of life here, and not ready for the G R just yet.

Meanwhile …

Every year for some years now, I have sent gay and gay-friendly straight friends a poem instead of a card as I am not really a Christmassy person and do not subscribe to any religion. Well, Christmas is almost upon us and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you, my readers – whatever colour, creed or sexuality, wherever you are and whether you dip into just one, both. or even all three of my blogs - for letting me into your lives.

CELEBRATIONS RINGING TRUE, RINGING FALSE

Christmas, ringing out loud and clear,
carol singers at the front door
mistletoe and ivy in the living room,
customised fir trees everywhere
dressed up with fairy lights signalling
festive cheer

Christmas, ringing out loud and clear,
children, live portraits of delight
embracing the stuff of winter dreams,
home comforts and joy everywhere,
all dressed up in laughter if only to hide
splitting seams

Christmas, ringing out loud and clear,
mums and dads denying the cost,
refusing to put a price on getting away
from a world in pain everywhere
all dressed up in promises of another day,
another year

Christmas, ringing out loud and clear,
celebrating the birth of a boy
believed by Christians to be the Christ
reaching out to a world in despair
in peace and love superseding any dogma
anywhere

Christmas, ringing out loud and clear,
disturbing the rough sleeper
fearful of waking to cold, snow, hunger,
home comforts but chinks
in curtains wrapping up my brother’s keeper
in make-believe

Copyright R. N. Taber 2018



Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home