A Poet's Blog: Roger N.Taber shares his thoughts & poems...

Thoughts and observations by English poet Roger N. Taber, a retired librarian and poet-novelist.- "Ethnicity, Religion, Gender, Sexuality ... these are but parts of a whole. It is the whole that counts." RNT [NB While I have no wish to create a social network, I will always reply to critical emails about my poetry. Contact: rogertab@aol.com].

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Sadly, a bad fall in 2012 has left me with a mobility problem, and being diagnosed with prostate cancer the same year hasn't helped, but I get out and about with my trusty walking stick as much as I can, take each day as it comes and try to keep looking on the bright(er) side of life. Many of my poems reflect the need to nurture a positive-thinking mindset whatever life throws at us.

Saturday 13 April 2019

Engaging with the Abstract

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

I have really never understood abstract art, but always been fascinated by it without knowing why. One day, at a Picasso exhibition, I commented as much to the person (a total stranger) standing next to me. “It’s not about making sense as we know it,” the woman said, “but letting it take us on a journey, wherever our senses choose to take us; it is the journey that counts, and at the same time completes the artwork. There's nothing like abstract art for giving the alter ego a wake-up call." She had moved on before I could quite digest this, but digest it I did, and have enjoyed taking more such journeys since. The mind operates along lines of its having to make sense of things' the heart, on the other hand, accepts that we don't.

Every time I engage with abstract art, it feels like it is taking me on a magical mystery tour around my inner self ...

I like to think at least some of my poems have much the same effect on those who engage with them, but maybe that's just wishful thinking ...

This poem is a kenning.

ENGAGING WITH THE ABSTRACT

I lead the mind a merry dance
across lesser known parameters
simply for their being red lines
drawn across localised elements
of human nature by ‘betters’
intent on feeding their own egos
(under the heading ‘Education’)
inviting any free, independent thought
to engage, comment, pass on

I invite the body to fly all time
and space, consort with pterodactyls
regenerating through time-space
to give poor history a pat on the back
for lending a poorer humanity
its spectrum of lost opportunities,
not only excused but redeemed
by all socio-cultural-religious dogma
ever written on tablets of stone

My task, to let the human spirit
enter into a global self-consciousness,
no matter its sensibilities fear
to see-hear-feel whatever hurt inflicted
on its own and natural worlds
by way of posing as a superior species
for its strength, intelligence,
or cunning wherever pure self-interest
put down to native ingenuity

Mind-body-spirit, actively taking part
in all that comprises abstract art

 Copyright R. N. Taber 2019

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home