Sunday, 29 June 2014

L-O-V-E, Storage and Retrieval


Now, it is always good to remember someone with love. Oh, yes, and how! Yet, love, too, sometimes needs to move on. 

As I have said on my blogs many times, remembrance does not mean leaving love behind. Trust the human body, mind and spirit to always find a way, carrying its life force to pastures new so flowers that slept in winter can bloom again if never quite the same but, rather, like reworked pictures and text in a storybook that remains, nevertheless, a firm favourite.

If one quality of the human spirit might be said to  outshine all else, it has to be its capacity for love... in all manner of wonderful ways; loving people, places, animals.... love does not  discriminate.

L-O-V-E, STORAGE AND RETRIEVAL

I tied my heart
with string, deposited it
in a drawer with a pair of cuff links
and a blond hair

Like a child,
I’d go there just to look
as if contemplating illustrations
in a storybook

I flung open
the drawer (par for love)
and buried my treasure under a pile
of new shirts

Ready to put away
wishful thinking, cufflinks
and hair, cut the string keeping us 
in a time warp

You and me, pages
of a story now all smudged
and yellow where I share my pillow
with another

Copyright R. N. Taber 2002; 2016


[Note: An earlier version of this poem - under the title 'Storage and Retrieval' appears in 1st eds. of First Person Plural by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 200; revised e. in e-format in preparation,]

No comments :