A Poet's Blog: Roger N.Taber shares his thoughts & poems...

Thoughts and observations by English poet Roger N. Taber, a retired librarian and poet-novelist.- "Ethnicity, Religion, Gender, Sexuality ... these are but parts of a whole. It is the whole that counts." RNT [NB While I have no wish to create a social network, I will always reply to critical emails about my poetry. Contact: rogertab@aol.com].

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Sadly, a bad fall in 2012 has left me with a mobility problem, and being diagnosed with prostate cancer the same year hasn't helped, but I get out and about with my trusty walking stick as much as I can, take each day as it comes and try to keep looking on the bright(er) side of life. Many of my poems reflect the need to nurture a positive-thinking mindset whatever life throws at us.

Sunday 29 June 2014

(Selective) Storage and Retrieval


Now, it is always good to remember someone with love. Oh, yes, and how! Yet, love, too, sometimes needs to move on. 

As I have said on my blogs many times, remembrance does not mean leaving love behind. Trust the human body, mind and spirit to always find a way, carrying its life force to pastures new so flowers that slept in winter can bloom again if never quite the same but, rather, like reworked pictures and text in a storybook that remains, nevertheless, a firm favourite.

If one quality of the human spirit might be said to  outshine all else, it has to be its capacity for love... in all manner of wonderful ways; loving people, places, animals.... love does not  discriminate.

STORAGE AND RETRIEVAL

I tied my heart
with string, deposited it
in a drawer with a pair of cuff links
and a blond hair

Like a child,
I’d go there just to look
as if contemplating illustrations
in a storybook

I flung open
the drawer (par for love)
and buried my treasure under a pile
of new shirts

Ready to put away
wishful thinking, cufflinks
and hair, cut the string keeping us 
in a time warp

You and me, pages
of a story now all smudged
and yellow where I share my pillow
with another

Copyright R. N. Taber 2002; rev 2019

[Note: An earlier version of this poem appears under the title 'Storage and Retrieval' in First Person Plural by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2002.]

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home