A Poet's Blog: Roger N.Taber shares his thoughts & poems...

Thoughts and observations by English poet Roger N. Taber, a retired librarian and poet-novelist.- "Ethnicity, Religion, Gender, Sexuality ... these are but parts of a whole. It is the whole that counts." RNT [NB While I have no wish to create a social network, I will always reply to critical emails about my poetry. Contact: rogertab@aol.com].

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Sadly, a bad fall in 2012 has left me with a mobility problem, and being diagnosed with prostate cancer the same year hasn't helped, but I get out and about with my trusty walking stick as much as I can, take each day as it comes and try to keep looking on the bright(er) side of life. Many of my poems reflect the need to nurture a positive-thinking mindset whatever life throws at us.

Tuesday 2 April 2013

View from a Church Window

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Today’s poem is an early poem albeit slightly revised. Having been partially deaf since  childhood, I possibly developed a perceptive inner ear at an early age. At the same time, I became increasingly aware of other people’s inner deafness.


Kissing Gate

VIEW FROM A CHURCH WINDOW

There’s a thrill of blossom
on the old tree,
a greeny-white chirrup
of noise bouncing
gently, like a rubber ball at play
in child hands

Every nuance of creation
about the old tree
tuned to perfection, you and me 
shaking our heads
at confetti coming down on us
like acid rain

A hymn to life, its beauty!
Leaves, wind wafers
tongued, but oh so lightly
at the kissing gate 
over there, inviting all humanity,
to love and let love

Here,taking a dimmer view
of immortality
as we pass our seasons by,
grown deaf  to each leaf,
rarely (if ever) making time
to wonder why

Copyright R. N. Taber 1997; 2013

[Note: This poem has been slightly revised from an earlier version that appeared in several poetry magazines between 1997-2000 and an anthology, Changing Seasons, Poetry Today [Forward Press] 1998 and subsequently in Love and Human Remains by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2000.]

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home