A Poet's Blog: Roger N.Taber shares his thoughts & poems...

Thoughts and observations by English poet Roger N. Taber, a retired librarian and poet-novelist.- "Ethnicity, Religion, Gender, Sexuality ... these are but parts of a whole. It is the whole that counts." RNT [NB While I have no wish to create a social network, I will always reply to critical emails about my poetry. Contact: rogertab@aol.com].

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Sadly, a bad fall in 2012 has left me with a mobility problem, and being diagnosed with prostate cancer the same year hasn't helped, but I get out and about with my trusty walking stick as much as I can, take each day as it comes and try to keep looking on the bright(er) side of life. Many of my poems reflect the need to nurture a positive-thinking mindset whatever life throws at us.

Friday 2 March 2012

Mind-Body-Spirit, Mentor to the Arts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

[ Update: Oct 4th 2017]: We fail to do the arts justice if we persist in seeing each genre as a separate entity. Yes, they are, but they also overlap. A poet, for example, writes with a musician’s ear for rhythm and an artists’ eye for imagery as well as, not infrequently, an actor’s feel for role-playing and a comedian’s penchant for wry humour.

Readers should not be surprised, therefore, that I also write fiction:

https://rogertaberfiction.blogspot.com/2016/05/news-updates-fiction.html

Now, this poem is a kenning; it last appeared on the blog in 2010 and was included in Forward Press Regionals 2010: South and S.W. of England; it  does not appear in any of my collections. and I am unlikely to produce a hoped-for 8th volume owing to various health concerns. (No worries there folks, am still looking on the bright side of life!)

MIND-BODY-SPIRIT, MENTOR TO THE ARTS

I haunt live theatre,
prefer to leave as soon as the show is over,
curtain barely down,
rather than play the showman for critics
anxious to praise or bury me
as the case maybe in this glossy mag
or that local rag, anything
to be seen earning a living, even
by feeding a gossip column

I haunt live farce
and, no, I’m not that feisty voice on radio
spilling the beans…
about this politician’s gaff or some cleric
caught out in an act of hypocrisy
sure to rock the hierarchy on its haunches,
its spin doctors in a flap for sure,
doing rounds of the rich calling in favours
on grounds it’s for the poor

I haunt music venues,
willing every tenor, alto, bass, and dancer
to make good its integrity
rather than play lapdog to the impresario
who set it all up;
you’ll find me between the notes of a song,
stanzas of a poem, dialogue in a play,
lines of sculpture in marble, bronze or clay,
ground of any painting on display

I am Inspiration, inciting mind-body-spirit
to make an art form of creative therapy

Copyright R. N. Taber 2010

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home