A Poet's Blog: Roger N.Taber shares his thoughts & poems...

Thoughts and observations by English poet Roger N. Taber, a retired librarian and poet-novelist.- "Ethnicity, Religion, Gender, Sexuality ... these are but parts of a whole. It is the whole that counts." RNT [NB While I have no wish to create a social network, I will always reply to critical emails about my poetry. Contact: rogertab@aol.com].

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Sadly, a bad fall in 2012 has left me with a mobility problem, and being diagnosed with prostate cancer the same year hasn't helped, but I get out and about with my trusty walking stick as much as I can, take each day as it comes and try to keep looking on the bright(er) side of life. Many of my poems reflect the need to nurture a positive-thinking mindset whatever life throws at us.

Friday 9 July 2010

T-I-M-E, Watchtowers of Human History

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

I am frequently asked why I often write about death. Well, I try to do so positively since so many people are afraid of dying and I try to offer some reassurance, especially to those readers who, like me, find neither peace nor reassurance in religion. Thankfully, there are religious-minded people who remain open-minded and open-hearted, putting care and respect for others (regardless of their differences) before the dogma, ritual and politics of religion.

It has long been my personal view that world religions have forgotten their origins; their founders would have expected them not only to move with the times but also to always put compassion before politics. Take the compassion out of religion and what do you have left? The kind of arrogance and inhumanity expressed by far too many religious leaders who say one thing and do another. The worst of it is they say what they say and do what they do in the name of religion. Thank goodness many ordinary people see through the smokescreen and lend a sense of humanity to humankind as their religion’s origins intended.

As regular readers will know only too well, I take both inspiration and spirituality from nature. Besides, I am writing about the times in which I live and death is as much a part of that as life itself. Do I idealise death? I don’t think so. We should also remember that pain is something else altogether. It is heartbreaking to watch someone die in pain. Yet, we can but try and look beyond pain to an everlasting peace.

Did I say it was easy?

This poem is a villanelle.

T-I-M-E, WATCHTOWERS OF HUMAN HISTORY

Wherever dark death takes me,
pray, few regrets or tears;
let it be an everlasting poetry

Oh, how I'll miss sky and sea,
the south wind’s whispers,
wherever dark death takes me

May love stand by (steadfastly)
our finest memories;
let it be an everlasting poetry

How I'll miss each bird and tree,
all joy nature inspires,
wherever dark death takes me!


May favourite dreams descend  
upon a bed of flowers;
let it be an everlasting poetry

Our way, in peace, lit eternally
by candles in watchtowers;
wherever dark death takes me,
let it be an everlasting poetry

Copyright R. N. Taber 2005; 2010

[Note: An earlier version of this poem appears in A Feeling For The Quickness Of Time by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2005.]

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home