A Poet's Blog: Roger N.Taber shares his thoughts & poems...

Thoughts and observations by English poet Roger N. Taber, a retired librarian and poet-novelist.- "Ethnicity, Religion, Gender, Sexuality ... these are but parts of a whole. It is the whole that counts." RNT [NB While I have no wish to create a social network, I will always reply to critical emails about my poetry. Contact: rogertab@aol.com].

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Sadly, a bad fall in 2012 has left me with a mobility problem, and being diagnosed with prostate cancer the same year hasn't helped, but I get out and about with my trusty walking stick as much as I can, take each day as it comes and try to keep looking on the bright(er) side of life. Many of my poems reflect the need to nurture a positive-thinking mindset whatever life throws at us.

Thursday 28 July 2016

L-I-F-E, Fair Skies Punctuated by Patches of Dark Cloud

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

To several readers who have said they enjoy my blogs but prefer not to register as followers for various reasons, thank you for your kind words and it doesn't matter whether you choose to 'follow' or not; it is more than enough for me that you visit them. I would also like to welcome any new readers who may also be interested to know that I add (and remove) historical as well as current posts/poems from this and my gay-interest blog to my Google Plus site on an almost daily basis, not least to save anyone who is interested in my work having to browse 1,000+ poems. [I don't publish comments, but you are welcome to email me any time; the address is in the blog heading.]

https://plus.google.com/118347623673930289606/posts

A small child more years ago than I care to remember, I well recall looking up one wintry day and seeing a splendid patch of blue among darkening clouds; that image has stayed with me ever since. (I am 70 now)

No matter how ominous, threatening or just faintly disturbing any clouds in my life, my inner eye has never (quite) lost sight of that patch of blue, as good a metaphor for love, peace, hope and happiness as any, surely, however elusive they may seem sometimes...


Life is not, of course, mostly blue skies for everyone. I commented as much to a disabled friend once whose response I have never forgotten. He said, 'True, but what life can't give us, no matter how hard we try, imagination can almost compensate for if we try hard enough. Not the same, no, but it's enough for most of us if we try to make the most of what we have and make our peace with what we can't have. Whatever, it's down to us; sink or enjoy a good swim..."

This poem is a villanelle.

L-I-F-E, FAIR SKIES PUNCTUATED BY PATCHES OF DARK CLOUD

Making a (far) kinder world with you,
a bright smile for everyone,
though clouds among patches of blue   

Whether exploring points of view,
enjoying life, just having fun...
making a (far) kinder world with you

No matter a storm passing through,
find our love, its gamut run,
though clouds among patches of blue

Like a brave new dream come true,
(harvest of the sun)
making a (far) kinder world with you

Dark death, its worst can never do,
love's victory already won,
though clouds among patches of blue

Among ghosts, such friends we knew
ere theirs and our day done;
making a (far) kinder world with you,
though clouds among patches of blue

Copyright R. N. Taber 2002; 2016

[Note: An earlier version of this poem appears under the title 'Blue Skies Punctuated by Patches of Cloud' in an anthology, A Poetic Formula, Poetry Today (Forward Press),2001.]

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home