A Poet's Blog: Roger N.Taber shares his thoughts & poems...

Thoughts and observations by English poet Roger N. Taber, a retired librarian and poet-novelist.- "Ethnicity, Religion, Gender, Sexuality ... these are but parts of a whole. It is the whole that counts." RNT [NB While I have no wish to create a social network, I will always reply to critical emails about my poetry. Contact: rogertab@aol.com].

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Sadly, a bad fall in 2012 has left me with a mobility problem, and being diagnosed with prostate cancer the same year hasn't helped, but I get out and about with my trusty walking stick as much as I can, take each day as it comes and try to keep looking on the bright(er) side of life. Many of my poems reflect the need to nurture a positive-thinking mindset whatever life throws at us.

Tuesday 1 May 2012

The Greatest Show On Earth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

I love it when people ask me to repeat a villanelle; regular readers will know I have a passion for them. I have written some 200+ over the years. Today’s villanelle last appeared on the blog in 2010 and is especially for ‘Damon and Louise’ who are getting married shortly and plan to spend their honeymoon on a walking tour of the Lake District. They say they are looking forward to ‘beautiful scenery by day and intimate at night.’ Well, enjoy, and congratulations to you both.

Interestingly, it appears that Louise has a gay brother who is also Damon’s best friend. Nice one, folks!

THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH

Earth Mother, a faith in us will show,
each and every one of us;
eternal confidant, always in the know

If ever we’re driven to an all-time low,
no one answering our cries,
Earthy Mother, a faith in us will show

Starry heavens come, starry heavens go
for each and every one of us;
eternal confidante, always in the know

Should we be losers at love’s last throw
of its ages-old, universal dice,
Earth Mother, a faith in us will show,

Seek Apollo where darkness binds us so
(will always find time for us);
eternal confidante, always in the know

Where a bigot’s rant rings loud if hollow
and universal truths give way to lies,
Earth Mother, a faith in us will show;
eternal confidante, always in the know

Copyright R. N. Taber 2010

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home