A Poet's Blog: Roger N.Taber shares his thoughts & poems...

Thoughts and observations by English poet Roger N. Taber, a retired librarian and poet-novelist.- "Ethnicity, Religion, Gender, Sexuality ... these are but parts of a whole. It is the whole that counts." RNT [NB While I have no wish to create a social network, I will always reply to critical emails about my poetry. Contact: rogertab@aol.com].

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Sadly, a bad fall in 2012 has left me with a mobility problem, and being diagnosed with prostate cancer the same year hasn't helped, but I get out and about with my trusty walking stick as much as I can, take each day as it comes and try to keep looking on the bright(er) side of life. Many of my poems reflect the need to nurture a positive-thinking mindset whatever life throws at us.

Monday 16 June 2014

The Music Makers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

[Update, 26/9/2019: Aware that I do not use social media myself, readers often ask if they can post a link to any of my poems on social media or simply recommend any of my blogs by title. No, I don’t mind at all.  If you want to recommend, go ahead, and many thanks; the more readers, the more feedback. The only reason I do not use social media myself is because I am in my 70’s now and not well these days so simply do not have the time as everything takes so much longer; working on a poem can take days anyway, and there is always shopping and housework to be done besides regular visits to my GP surgery or the Macmillan Cancer Centre (for my prostate cancer) and replying to any feedback that gives an email address and has 'Poetry' in the subject field. (I ignore spam.)]

This poem, a kenning, has mysteriously vanished from the blog and I am reinstating it today by popular request.

THE MUSIC MAKERS

I am the lovesick composer at the keys
of a Stradivarius, the man or woman
swimming against the tide in a splendid
sea of laughter, wondering if maybe
he or she who taught them how to play
will come after them today, tomorrow,
or another time, sing a love song as old
as the sea in the ear of one who longs
for even more

I am the lark soaring to welcome the sun,
bringing hope to sleepyheads stirring
on tearstained pillows, man or woman
daring to trust in another, demanding
answers to questions haunting the mind
like ghosts striving to clear a pathway
to love for the living, lift the last obstacles
remaining, sing among larks and rise
into clear skies

I am the nocturne sent to lure us along
the Milky Way, leaving trails
few astronomers will rush to identify
for fear of exposing such secrets
as men and women have found in stars
reading like notes of a love song
since Creation, inspiration for generation
upon generation, signatures of nature
to love’s endeavour

I bring to the spirit of music and dance,
an expertise called Endurance

[From: On the Battlefields of Love by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2010]

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home