A Poet's Blog: Roger N.Taber shares his thoughts & poems...

Thoughts and observations by English poet Roger N. Taber, a retired librarian and poet-novelist.- "Ethnicity, Religion, Gender, Sexuality ... these are but parts of a whole. It is the whole that counts." RNT [NB While I have no wish to create a social network, I will always reply to critical emails about my poetry. Contact: rogertab@aol.com].

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Sadly, a bad fall in 2012 has left me with a mobility problem, and being diagnosed with prostate cancer the same year hasn't helped, but I get out and about with my trusty walking stick as much as I can, take each day as it comes and try to keep looking on the bright(er) side of life. Many of my poems reflect the need to nurture a positive-thinking mindset whatever life throws at us.

Tuesday 25 February 2014

O-N-E, Potential for Multiplication


Regular readers will be aware that I have a history of depression since early childhood. (In those days, depression in children was barely recognized and usually looked upon as a predilection for tantrums.) 

Today’s little poem was written while I was still recovering from a serious nervous breakdown some 30+ years ago. I recently discovered and (slightly) revised it after struggling to decipher a page of scribble in an old exercise book. It may not be one of my better poems, but served me well at a time when my self-esteem was at rock bottom and I needed to find a way back into the general swim of everyday life. 

At the time, I felt very isolated, not least because I recognized that I was not mentally fit for purpose and there was little real help to be had, especially from the medical profession. At the same time, two former work colleagues were very supportive, and for that I will always be very grateful, while writing as a form of creative therapy helped me worth through the worst of my external anxieties. In time, I was able to take on a new job, rebuild my life and look forward in hope instead of back in distress.  

Family members and some friends chose to ignore the act that I was mentally ill, as many people do because it embarrasses them and/or they haven't a clue how to proceed. Yet, we all need a support network at times, especially when we are ill.

I once worked with a colleague who could not bear to discuss anything relating to illness, and there are many who feel the same way. Human nature? Perhaps, or perhaps sheer selfishness at not wanting to get involved and expected to go the distance with someone when we would much rather stay in our comfort zone.

Whatever, I owe my support network more than I could ever hope to express in words. Thanks to them I got my life back. Isn't that worth going the distance with someone for ... ?

O-N-E, POTENTIAL FOR MULTIPLICATION

Where one is in a minority,
one deserves a voice
for its colour, creed, sex 
or sexuality

Where one is in a minority
one deserves a choice
for its colour, creed, sex
or sexuality

Where one is in a majority,
one needs to listen 
to minority voices if only
for its sanity

Where one is in a majority,
one needs to respect
issues of colour, creed, sex 
and sexuality

In a minority or majority,
one plays its part
in whatever we have to say
for ourselves

In a minority or majority,
one deserves better
than being shouted down
by anyone else

Copyright R. N. Taber 1982; 2014

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home