Tuesday, 16 October 2012

A Passion For Trees (Two Poems)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

I posted a new video on my You Tube channel yesterday and today's post is (more or less) repeated on both blogs.:


Since feedback from blog readers around the world suggests that some people cannot access You Tube direct for one reason or another, I am posting poem and video (see at the bottom of this page) again here. 

While I only published the poem here in April this year, it was centred on the page as it is in my collection, but You Tube would not let me do this so I have arranged the poem differently. As I try to leave a good 18 months or so between publishing a poem on the blog,  I am also posting the first poem; it has not appeared on the blog since 2008 and has been especially requested by ‘Jack and Louise’ for ‘[our] son Michael and his partner Jonathan.’

So the first poem talks of gay love…so what? Love is love is love…and never let anyone tell you otherwise.

Both poems appear in my latest collection - Tracking the Torchbearer (2012).

Meanwhile…

The famous opening lines of ‘Trees’ by American writer, Joyce Kilmer (1886-1918) spring to mind:

‘I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree...’

Photo: An ash tree.

WAKING UP TO LOVE

There’s a tree in a field
that sings me a love song
every time I’m sitting
where it rises from the ground;
listen and you’ll hear
the lyric of a love song hanging
on a dream lost and found

By a tree in a field
we wrote our first love song,
bodies entwining
as we lay there on the ground,
sharing with the birds
such joy, such passion, hanging
on a dream lost and found

There’s a tree in a field
that watched us kiss and part,
not daring to believe
as we lay there on the ground
how gay love might
survive a world left but hanging
on dreams lost and found

To a tree in a field
we returned to write a love song,
bodies entwining
as we lay there on the ground,
sharing with the birds
such joy, such passion, a waking
dream lost and found

Copyright R. N. Taber 2008

Photo: An Ash tree.

MY HERO IS A TREE

Leaves on my hero are budding,
the music of spring as sweet as ever heard;
swallows returning bring life
to field and valley, filling the lonely heart
with thoughts of love

Leaves on my hero are singing
songs of summer as feisty as passion;
young folks laughing bring life
to field and valley, filling hearts growing old
with memories of love

Leaves on my hero are turning
red and gold in the company of dreams,
swallows leaving, sure to return
to field and valley while hearts young and old
fly the colours of love

Leaves on my hero are drifting
across time and space, world without end;
tears of pain, joy and hope
flying field and valley like bright eyed children
running with kites

Leaves on my hero are budding.
the music of spring as sweet as ever heard;
swallows returning bring life
to field and valley, and new takes on old stories
we tell on love

Leaves on my hero are singing
songs of summer as feisty as passion;
young folks laughing bring life
to field and valley, teasing hearts growing old
they know nothing of love

Leaves on my hero are turning
red and gold in the company of dreams;
swallows leaving, sure to return
to field and valley while hearts young and old
fly the colours of love

Leaves on my hero are drifting
across time and space, world without end;
tears of pain joy and hope
flying field and valley, the children we were,
running with kites

[From: Tracking the Torchbearer by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2012]


[Please Note: My collections are only on sale in the UK but anyone can order (signed) copies from me at a generous blogger discount. For details, contact rogertab@aol.com with ‘Blog reader’ or Poetry collection’ in the subject field.]


No comments :