A Poet's Blog: Roger N.Taber shares his thoughts & poems...

Thoughts and observations by English poet Roger N. Taber, a retired librarian and poet-novelist.- "Ethnicity, Religion, Gender, Sexuality ... these are but parts of a whole. It is the whole that counts." RNT [NB While I have no wish to create a social network, I will always reply to critical emails about my poetry. Contact: rogertab@aol.com].

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Sadly, a bad fall in 2012 has left me with a mobility problem, and being diagnosed with prostate cancer the same year hasn't helped, but I get out and about with my trusty walking stick as much as I can, take each day as it comes and try to keep looking on the bright(er) side of life. Many of my poems reflect the need to nurture a positive-thinking mindset whatever life throws at us.

Saturday 18 April 2020

Making Good Time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

A neighbour in the road where I lived as a child was always helping others. Once, I fell over, and cut my knee badly. Immediately, she took me inside, wiped it clean, and applied a plaster because she knew my mother would not be at home, having met her while out shopping. I thanked her for making the time to be my Good Samaritan, which parable from the New Testament I had heard only days before at Sunday School. (It would be a few years later before I gave up on religion.) She simply shrugged and commented, “Better to make time and have something to show for it than not.” I have never forgotten those words even though some 60+ years have passed since that day.

“The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.”
 
 Omar Khayyám

“Time is a created thing. To say 'I don't have time,' is like saying, 'I don't want to.” 
- Lao Tzu

MAKING GOOD TIME

Were life a clock face and we its hands,
measuring out time as in the footsteps of ghosts,
at any second in any hour, find someone
standing up to be counted, a principle at stake
that warrants neither any compromise
or convenient slip of memory into some pit
of consciousness whose only purpose
to stir pangs of guilt now and then, though nothing
to write home about, better archived

Were life a clock face and we its hands,
measuring out time as a grocer might well weigh
out a shopper’s vegetables for payment
over a crowded counter, queue growing longer,
find someone standing up to be counted
making their voice heard over the general hubbub
protesting about an aggressive queue jumper
whom no one cares to remark upon aloud for fear
of any thought police listening in

Were life a clock face and we its hands.
measuring out time as a student of human nature
might well mark how many times in a day
bear witness to common courtesy, an awareness
of another person’s disability, and the need
to lend a helping hand or surrender a seat on a bus
or train, go out of their way in no time at all
for making a difference, transforming a mountain
into a molehill for someone, anyone

Were life a clock face, and we its hands, see us fly
past-present-future in the blink of an all-seeing eye


Copyright R. N. Taber 2009

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home