Monday, 24 October 2016

Two Poems for Halloween


Halloween is almost upon us. Yet, it is not only at Halloween that we hear talk of ghosts at various social events and celebrations.

Now, Halloween is reputedly a time for witches and warlocks. So did witches and warlocks have no time for love? Moreover, what of their sexual persuasion, and who are we to make assumptions? As for ghosts…I dare say we all have our share of those.

In effect, Halloween is just a date on the calendar. We may well associate it with ‘Trick or Treat’ but I suspect most if not all of us find ourselves playing mind games now and then; with our various selves as well as with others, and they with us. (Let’s face it. Halloween isn’t the only time some of us love or even prefer to wear masks - metaphorically speaking, of course - so no one can read our faces.)

True, Halloween may well be as good a time as any to choose whether to let our ghosts persist in personifying our worst nightmares or invest them with benign fantasy and give peace of mind a fighting chance, whatever it takes. Gay or straight, though, who needs Halloween for that...?

Now, what’s this, general and gay interest poems for Halloween on the same page?

Many people (gay and straight alike) ask why I don’t necessarily treat gay-interest poems as a separate literary form, culture or issue. (Why should it ever be an issue?)  By default, I have gay-interest and general blogs although my fiction blog includes general along with gay-interest fiction and my Google Plus site also includes both gay-interest and general poems. .

As I have said before on the blogs, as far as I am concerned, no art form deserves to be singled out for its content alone in so far as that content relates to any sexual persuasion. In a nutshell, a poem is a poem is a poem just as a person is a person is a person, regardless of any LGBT or heterosexual associations. It is what goes into a poem and what readers may (or may not) get out of it that matters; the same principle applies to any art form. As for people it is not what but who a person is that's important, how and where he or she matters to others, not their sex or sexuality nor, for that matter, religion or ethnicity. 

RECONCILING WITH HALLOWEEN

One Halloween at a full moon,
come the witching hour,
live wires humming our tune

You had left me, oh, too soon,
life tasting, oh, so sour,
one Halloween at a full moon

Walking on, an autumnal rain
but a heavenly shower,
live wires humming our tune

A hand slipped gently into mine
like spring to a flower,
one Halloween at a full moon

Love, treading a rare timeline,
kept me company there,
live wires humming our tune

It lifted me, a spirit all but divine,
sure to last forever,
one Halloween at a full moon,
live wires humming our tune

Copyright R. N. Taber 2009; 2016

[Note: This poem appears under the title ’Taking on Halloween’ in Tracking the Torchbearer by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2007; revised ed. in e-format in preparation.]

G-A-Y, SPOILS OF HALLOWEEN

Come Halloween,
I met a warlock, as wicked looks
as I’d ever seen

Full lips at my ear
murmured a spell that effectively
made us disappear

Into a candlelit place
he swept me, on wings of a night
configuring my face

In a mirror, a stranger
took my measure, quick heartbeat
sounding no danger

A fire was lit in my soul,
my body fuelled by its welcome heat
till first light fell…

The warlock only smiled
and a fierce kiss said I was free to go
back into the world

I told him I’d prefer to stay,
nor had his charms been wasted on me,
but let me see I’m gay

Gladly, into a glorious dawn,
we moved on, warlock and I, soulmates,
spoils of Halloween

Copyright R. N. Taber 2007

No comments :