Sunday, 22 May 2016

Shadow Play OR Profiling a Positive Outcome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

A friend recently commented there can be no disputing we live in a dangerous world that is the stuff of nightmares.

The threat of terrorism leaps to mind, but there are everyday threats closer to home as well; racism, homophobia, street crime, gang warfare, cyber bullying, certain religious and cultural issues such as FGM (Female Genital Mutilation) and the more barbaric aspects of Sharia law etc. etc.

Is it any wonder then that dreams and nightmares sometimes merge into a hideous quasi-reality? As for a face looking passively in at it all, that could belong to just about anyone, even one of our own personae that the conscious self we know and love either fails or refuses to acknowledge…in case it feels obliged to act rather than remain a critical bystander unwilling to get involved in someone else’s affairs. here comes a time, though, when we have to acknowledge that, like it or not, as part of the human race, we are involved...in helping, any way we can, to ensure not only its very survival, but its survival for the better.

Enter the metaphysical poet John Donne ‘No man is an island entire of itself…any man’s death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind...’ (MEDITATION XVI )

SHADOW PLAY or PROFILING A POSITIVE OUTCOME

Faces looking in
at a window
on my dreams
are always mouthing words
I can never make out

These faces looking in
at a window
on my dreams
always have a smile for me
no matter what

One face looking in
at a window
on my dreams,
it wears a wry expression
(knows me too well?)

I struggle to imagine
what they see
as my dream-self
explores all time and space
of a subconscious
indulging in freedom
from restraints
along the lines
of religious dogma playing
war games
with mind, body, and spirit
or the temporal
manipulations of various
holier-than-thous
acting out an ages-old parody
of human justice

Faces looking in
at a window
on my dreams
seem to approve what they see  
for having a say

This face looking out
of a window
on my dreams
mouths back that I am as I am
(no strings)

Waking at first light,
in time to watch
a lively shadow play
on my ceiling of dark forces
beating a retreat

Copyright R. N. Taber 2016
















No comments :