Sunday, 17 April 2016

Home Birds


One person may love to travel the world, another may prefer to stay at home. The only reason either may envy the other is if they are unhappy with their status quo, in which case it is up to them to do something about it.

Happiness means different things to different people; it can be elusive, yes, in which case all the more reason to look at why we are unhappy…and DO something about it.

Me? Yes, I like to travel, but at heart I am a home bird and cannot honestly say I would change that. I am happy enough in my own way. There are aspects of my life I would like to change, of course, like not having a partner to share it, and growing old with all its associated slings and arrows, but there is not a lot I can do about either so I enjoy what is good about my life and ignore the rest. (Well, most of the time.)

I once heard one friend tell another that he needed to grow up, get away from home and see the world. "You can't go through life travelling third class in books, TV and films." I will never forget the reply: "Why not? Everyone I love is here, and I love this place. Besides, I only ever travel first class, and it doesn't cost the earth. Oh, and I don't need a bloody passport either." The friend shrugged, lost for words. His companion disappeared into the local public library.

HOME BIRDS

We’d stroll miles of golden sands,
my love and I, happily holding hands,
exchanging dreams of foreign lands
we wished ourselves to be, suspecting
from the start we’d never go there
if only for knowing, at heart, we were
home birds

We’d share our dreams with waves
and foam (promising to find them a home)
while seagulls would swoop
to greet us and lift our hopes on wing,
putting passing clouds
in the know so they would give us rides,
we home birds

Now, showing its age, that lustre,
of golden sands we’d stroll holding hands
mile after mile, and its seagulls
rarely yell friendly greetings any more,
where even waves and foam
appear to have less affinity with shore
and home birds

Even so, happy memories to share
of far places we got to know, oh, so well
for clouds crossing time and space,
glad to carry two dreamers on their backs
and put us down wherever...
a part of us forever, binding us together,
we home birds 

To love, its mystery, and no need to pity
its home birds


Copyright R. N. Taber 2012



No comments :