Saturday, 4 July 2015

Waves, Metaphor for Life


Some readers also dip into my fiction blog, and those of you who enjoyed the first part of my fantasy novel, Mamelon, will be pleased to know that I am (just about) on track for completing the second (final) part by the end of this year.  Sorry for the delay, but I am still experiencing difficulty walking (even with a walking stick) after my accident last year. However, I am learning to manage the pain and get out and about. Better news, though, is that hormone therapy continues to keep my prostate cancer at bay. Gotta look on the bright side of life, YES.

Now, regular readers will know I love the sea. For me, it is one of nature’s finest metaphors for life; love, war, peace, spirituality, inspiration, fulfilment, regret…a potpourri of its more splendid aspects while, at the same time, acknowledging the starkness of its reality and the comfort of home grown illusion.

 Photo; from the Internet

 WAVES, METAPHOR FOR LIFE

Waves, splashing
against me  like a meeting up
of old friends…
rushing to shower me with kisses,
only to run away…
just as you did towards the end
of our living together
when we had no more giving
for each other,
only the pain of recalling
how once we were,
one life, one love, twin waves
embracing the same shore,
flotsam spreading across pebbles
like prayer beads
at your throat, fragile fingers
trembling at each fastening
and unfastening, hearts rising, falling,
like waves lingering
oh, so briefly at a still much loved,
if (now) all but deserted shore,
my back to a crumbling sea wall,
ever listening out for your call – but
only seagulls…

Copyright R. N. Taber 2004; 2013

[Note: This poem has been slightly revised from an earlier version that appears in 1st eds. of The Third Eye by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2004; revised ed. in e-format in preparation.]


No comments :