Wednesday, 24 June 2015

Last Orders

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

As regular readers worldwide will know, I’ve been living with prostate cancer for 5+ years now and am doing OK. Hormone therapy continues to keep my PSA low and the cancer at bay. .

Time is precious; past, present and future. One day,  (hopefully not for a good while yet) the Grim Reaper will pay a visit, and my blogs will eventually disappear from the Internet.  Now, the blogs are the only record of my revised poems as well as many others that have not been published and are not included in my collections. I therefore intend, over a period of time, to publish revised editions of all my print novels and poetry collections in e-format to Google Play.

Meanwhile...

Of all the love poems I have written, this has to be one of my favourites. A sudden need to revise the original as it appears in my collection was like a cry from the heart, reminiscent of Cathy's ghost calling to Heathcliffe in Emily Bronte's classic novel, Wuthering Heights. [Oh, yes, in case you hadn't guessed, I am, among other things, an incurable romantic, always have been, and make no apologies for it. ]

LAST ORDERS

May the last thing I ever see
be a lark dropping from the sky
the last thing I ever hear
its song of hope and good cheer

May the last thing I ever smell
be a heady fragrance of flowers,
the last dream I ever have,
this life we made, forever ours

May the last thing I ever feel
be the sensual touch of your skin,
the last of Earth we ever share,
a toast to love in homemade wine

As Time calls its ghosts together,
so shall we rediscover each other

Copyright R. N. Taber 2002, 2016

[Note: This poem is a revised version of one  first published in an anthology, A Ray of Light, Poetry Now, (Forward Press)1999 and subsequently in 1st eds. of First Person Plural by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2002; revised ed. in e-format in preparation.]

No comments :