Sunday, 29 March 2015

Endgame OR Freefalling


This poem was written in the spring of 1970. It is among a number of early poems from my student years that I included in Vol. 1 of my Love and Human Remains quartet. I recall feeling very tired when I wrote it just after finishing an essay. I may well have had someone in mind at the time. Yet, looking back, I can’t help wondering if that someone might have been but an older version of, yes, myself…?

Could it be, I wonder, 45+ years on, that I had something of a feeling for some kind of endgame,   freefalling into the ages-old poetry of time and space…or whatever… even at the ripe old age of twenty-four?

('Fireside' by Joseph Henry Sharp, 1859 -1953)

ENDGAME or FREEFALLING

Watch shadows rise and fall,
seek between and all that’s behind,
relax contours of informed mind;
wander, trespass, feel your way
through fawning mists of pink
and grey. Behold, all fond reason
left untold

Caress young visions huge moons
have kissed, meander pathways
time never missed, only you, dear fool,
who thought you knew it all

Flames flicker and die, phantoms fade...

Between gloom and glow,
dawn’s sly blade strikes a bowed crown,
lets one grey lock slip slowly d
 o
  w
    n

Copyright R. N. Taber 1970;2015

[Note: A slightly different version of this poem appears in 1st eds. of Love And Human Remains by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2001; revised ed. in e-format in preparation.]






No comments :