Friday, 18 July 2014

Shadowlands OR Say 'No' to Drugs on the Street


Like most of the poems I write in the first person and this is not an autobiographical poem. It is, however, a tragically true story of someone who passed a recreational drug to a friend who subsequently died. People who use drugs forget that everyone’s body chemistry is different. What gives someone a high can kill someone else.

There is something almost (and horribly) socially acceptable about taking drugs in the UK these days, rather like drink-driving. Drug abuse (including alcohol) can destroy not only the user but whole families.

Some celebrities set an appalling example.

It isn’t being a wimp or wet blanket to say 'no' to drugs when friends are trying to persuade you to give it a go. It is showing good sense and a maturity far beyond their years.

I am thrilled that feedback suggests a growing number of young people read my blogs. To them especially I say, YES, celebrate. YES, party. YES, have fun… But (at any time of year) say, NO, to drugs…if only because there is a lot of rubbish out there these days, rubbish that can kill.

If you can't say no, get help.


SHADOWLANDS or SAY 'NO' TO DRUGS ON THE STREET

Dark shadows asked me…

I said “No!” Yet, they followed,
sweet talked me,
broke my will – so I bought
the damn pill

Dark shadows begged me…

I said “No!” Yet, they followed,
sweet talked me,
broke my will – so I gave  him
the damn pill

Dark shadows threatened me…

I said “No!” Yet, they followed
bad mouthed me,
broke my will - and I still went
to his funeral

Dark shadows everywhere,
bending the ear…

Copyright R. N. Taber 2002; 2014

[Note: An earlier version of this poem - under the title ‘Shadows’ appears in 1st eds. of First Person Plural by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2002; 2nd (revised) e-edition in preparation.]


No comments :