Tuesday, 6 May 2014

The Crowded Sky OR Ghost Riders


As a child, I would love creating stories in my head from cloud ‘figures’. People would laugh and tell me I’d grow out of this fantasizing. Well, some people still laugh, but I’m glad I still feel inspired by clouds even 68+ years on.

THE CROWDED SKY or GHOST RIDERS

I’ve seen ghost riders
chasing sandmen into storm clouds
and leaves fly

I’ve seen ghost riders
throw a sandman into a dark place
and trees cry

I’ve seen ghost riders
pluck such as I from fragile shelters
and no one notice

I’ve seen ghost riders,
others like me into this sorry world’s
worst nightmares

I’ve let ghost riders
drag me from my armchair, re-awaken
my consciousness

I’ve let ghost riders
rescue me from assault by prime time
TV advertising

I’ve let ghost riders
force me to face my more fragile selves
head-on

I’ve let ghost riders
trample a rainbow, watched it crumble,
only to re-assemble

One by one, ghost riders
falling away, till nothing left to say they
are even history...

Except me

[From: Tracking the Torchbearer by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2012]






No comments :