A Poet's Blog: Roger N.Taber shares his thoughts & poems...

Thoughts and observations by English poet Roger N. Taber, a retired librarian and poet-novelist.- "Ethnicity, Religion, Gender, Sexuality ... these are but parts of a whole. It is the whole that counts." RNT [NB While I have no wish to create a social network, I will always reply to critical emails about my poetry. Contact: rogertab@aol.com].

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Sadly, a bad fall in 2012 has left me with a mobility problem, and being diagnosed with prostate cancer the same year hasn't helped, but I get out and about with my trusty walking stick as much as I can, take each day as it comes and try to keep looking on the bright(er) side of life. Many of my poems reflect the need to nurture a positive-thinking mindset whatever life throws at us.

Thursday 8 May 2014

Moon Under the Water, a Timely Encounter with Hope



I am often asked for a CD of my poetry reading on the 4th plinth in London's Trafalgar Square in 2009 as my contribution to Antony Gormley's One and Other 'live sculpture' project. There are no CDs of participant’s but I have posted a link to mine below. Be warned, though, the whole thing last an hour. (To watch others who took part, simply remove my name from the end of the link and browse.):

http://www.webarchive.org.uk/wayback/archive/20100223121732/oneandother.co.uk/participants/Roger_T [For now, at least, this link needs the latest Adobe Flash Player  and works best in Firefox; the archives website cannot run Flash but changes scheduled for later this year may well mean the link will open without it. Ignore any error message and give it a minute or so to start up. The video lasts an hour. ] RT 3/18

Now, we all have our ups and downs, the latter possibly at their worst after nightfall and in the early hours. As for getting through the darker, rougher, landscapes of life, be sure Hope is on hand even when we feel most abandoned and alone; we have but to acknowledge her...

MOON UNDER THE WATER,  A TIMELY ENCOUNTER WITH HOPE

She strolled as silent as light
to stand by my side;
together we watched moonlight
surf a rolling tide

She took my hand, held it tight,
said not a word
as we watched a jaded starlight
across the water glide

She led me to the water’s edge,
shadows dipping low,
night train sobbing on a bridge
like a war widow

She squeezed my hand, let it go,
trod softly on moonlight,
its sylph-like waves grieving so
for the death of night

She did not call on me to follow
yet I heard her voice
filling a heart left dark and hollow
for given no choice

She sung a song of truth and lies,
urging I live life to the full
where moonlight’s bridge of sighs
gives way to dawn’s chorale

I returned home, day’s light clear
if cheeks stained with tears,
mail train raising a hearty cheer
for the world’s survivors

[From: Tracking the Torchbearer by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2012]


Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home