Monday, 5 May 2014

Love in a Mist


Life may well be a rollercoaster ride, but we can always rely on love.

Love, too, of course (more often than not) can be a rollercoaster ride, but I put it to you that we can always rely on it to penetrate even a mist of tears (for wishful thinking?) thereby re-asserting itself as the only constant feel-good factor in our lives…

LOVE IN A MIST 

Even the sun took time to cry
as we parted, you and I,
not knowing if we’d ever meet again,
heartbeats in a misty rain

We swore to write every day,
be true, come what may,
fear of never seeing each other again 
killing us in that misty rain

I watched you go, saw you turn,
felt blown kisses start to burn
a hole in my heart where we had been,
left to ghost a misty rain

The sun stayed behind a cloud
as I named my love aloud,
leaving a summer wind to bear my pain
on the wings of a misty rain

Autumn passed and winter too,
yet I heard no word from you;
heartbeat, an illusion, hope on the wane,
love’s dream but a misty rain

Suddenly, the sun reappeared
from behind a tearful cloud,
shining for us, we lifeless flowers reborn
in the sweetest of spring rain

Birds sang all that glorious day
for lovers (straight and gay);
echoes of Earth Mother’s eternal refrain
if sometimes in a misty rain

Copyright R. N. Taber 2012; 2014


[Note: This poem has been slightly revised since written in 2008 and subsequently included in 1st editions of Tracking the Torchbearer by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books 2012; 2nd (revised) e-edition in preparation.]

No comments :