Saturday, 17 May 2014

First Symphony


Who can ever forget the first time they made love, and discovered that religion does not have a monopoly on spirituality...? 

FIRST SYMPHONY

The first time we made love,
I was nervous and shy,
didn’t quite know what to do,
was scared you might
feel let down, disappointed
in me, that I wouldn’t
send the same electric shocks
through your whole body
as you were passing into mine
with every deft caress,
each lingering kiss on my lips,
gently tongued apart
for strawberries and cream
on a summer’s day that must
(surely?) last forever

My fears melted away
as I felt more at ease and safe
with you, learning how
to respond to the inspired
rhythm of your body
as it taught me a symphony
of sex as composed
by the spirits of Love and Desire
and adored by lovers
everywhere since time began;
fine men and women
discovering brave new worlds
in each other nor only
by serving the better interests
of procreation

Let love, as and when, redefine
the creative nature of salvation

Copyright R. N. Taber 2008; 2012

[Note: An earlier version if this poem appears in 1st eds. of On the Battlefields of Love by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2010; 2nd ed. in preparation.]


No comments :