Sunday, 9 March 2014

Memo to Mortality


What is the meaning and purpose of life?  Why are we born if it’s only to die? Oh, but wouldn’t we all like to know! Could it be the answer is really quite simple for all the egg-heads and philosophers like to suggest it is so complex?

I once asked my late mother who responded without hesitation that ‘It’s about making the best of all we are, all we have, and all we achieve…not wasting time and tears over all we are not, all we don’t have, and all we haven’t achieved.’  (She was a wise woman, my mother.)

Now, this little poem may not really do justice to its theme, but what poem ever really could?

MEMO TO MORTALITY

I know not how or why
my life is as it is,
only how blue the sky
and pretty the daisies

I know not how or why
each season’s rebirth
wherever birds may fly,
beasts of the earth

We know not how or why
our time shall cease,
only, as we must die,
so first find peace

How or why a life’s task?
Let’s not forget to ask


[From: The Third Eye by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2004]

No comments :