Thursday, 13 February 2014

Unrequited OR Sometimes Love is a One-Way Street


Although I have not shared my life with anyone (for long) since my partner was killed in a road accident many years ago, that doesn’t mean  I’ve  never met anyone else for whom I’d have given just about anything to share its ups and downs in the way only loving partners can. Life, though, always had other ideas.

Gay or straight, I suspect few of us are never visited by impossible dreams about someone of whom we had high hopes in the love stakes but our feelings were not returned or even with whom we may once have been  ecstatically intimate, but who lived (and loved) only for the moment…

This poem is a villanelle.

UNREQUITED or SOMETIMES LOVE IS ONE-WAY STREET

My eyes begging sleep,
stay open for you;
heart, starting to weep

Thoughts I cannot keep
from rushing through;
my eyes begging sleep

Words of love I’d heap
tenderly on you;
heart, starting to weep

Arms that would keep
you safe life through,
my eyes begging sleep

Desire, child of the Deep
few can subdue;
heart, starting to weep

Come dreams, I’ll reap
a harvest rare and true;
my eyes begging sleep,
heart starting to weep

Copyright R. N. Taber 2005; 2011

[Note This poem has been slightly revised from the original version that appears in 1st eds. of A Feeling for the Quickness of Time by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2005; 2nd ed. in preparation.]



No comments :