Wednesday, 15 January 2014

Please, Listen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

I am posting two versions of this poem as some readers have said they like to see how and why I revise original poems from time to time. I have yet to decide which version will (eventually) appear in a revised edition; in e-format if I can't interest a mainstream publisher.  In the past, poetry publishers have been unwilling to publish my poetry because I  have always insisted on including gay-interest as well as general poems. I self-published some collections, but these are now out of print; although I did not lose out financially as they sold quite well, nor did any marginal profit justify all the hard work. At 70+ I have no interest in self-publishing again, but keep a record all revisions with the intention of producing new and revised versions, probably in e-format, one of these days. Meanwhile, all revised versions are on my blogs. (I am pleased to say that feedback suggests most are well received by readers.)

Sadly, come of us grow complacent about love and take it for granted while others cannot find the right words to express their feelings and assume the other person is a mind reader. Not a good thing for any relationship.

We should tell people we love them more often or (at the very least) go out of our way to show it while those of us on the receiving end need to respond accordingly, not simply assume all is as it should be in a relationship that may well be in need of some fine tuning.

Yes, it’s good to talk, and it is every bit as important if not more so to listen…


PLEASE, LISTEN

Your head on my shirt,
my heart saying all I long to say
in words it doesn’t know

Can’t you hear? No?
Please, listen, let my heart
tell you so

We were made for one another;
soulmates forever,
sharing life, love, and dreams,
looking out for each other
when hope falls apart at the seams,
passion no smouldering hearth
but electric shards charging the earth
in a summer storm

My heart, it can be heard
singing across earth, sea and sky,
wherever lovers go

Can’t you hear? No?
Please, listen, let my heart
tell you so

Copyright E. N. Taber 2002; 2013

[Note: Revised (2013) from an earlier version of this poem as it appears in 1st eds. of First Person Plural by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2002.

PLEASE, LISTEN

You lay your head
on my shirt, listening to my heart…
Does it tell you…
all the things I always long to say,
but never find the words?
Do you hear…
a love song composed for us
by garden birds?
Don’t you know…
I need you more, far more
than I can show?

No? Then listen, let my heart
tell you so...

We were made
for each another, soulmates forever,
sharing life, love, dreams,
looking out for each other when hope
falls apart at the seams
until it fnds its way to make peace
with troubled dreams,
passion’s heat, no smouldering
hearth, but electric shards
charging the Earth wherever
its winds may blow?

Can’t you hear? No? Then listen,
let my heart tell you so...

Copyright R. N. Taber 2016

[Note: An (earlier version (c2000) recently discovered among old files and slightly revised (2016)]

No comments :