A Poet's Blog: Roger N.Taber shares his thoughts & poems...

Thoughts and observations by English poet Roger N. Taber, a retired librarian and poet-novelist.- "Ethnicity, Religion, Gender, Sexuality ... these are but parts of a whole. It is the whole that counts." RNT [NB While I have no wish to create a social network, I will always reply to critical emails about my poetry. Contact: rogertab@aol.com].

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Sadly, a bad fall in 2012 has left me with a mobility problem, and being diagnosed with prostate cancer the same year hasn't helped, but I get out and about with my trusty walking stick as much as I can, take each day as it comes and try to keep looking on the bright(er) side of life. Many of my poems reflect the need to nurture a positive-thinking mindset whatever life throws at us.

Sunday 12 January 2014

Anatomy of a Smile


I have always been an avid reader. Once, when I was very unhappy, my mother tried to coax a smile from me. ‘What is there to smile about?” I snapped irritably.

“Every smile has a happy ending,” she said, and then added with a knowing smile of her own, “but you have to read the whole book to appreciate it.”

It was years before I really understood what she meant.

When someone dies, remembering them can hurt ... until you start turning the pages of the book you wrote together and happy memories leap out at you like the best photos in an album to cherish always.

ANATOMY OF A SMILE

There’s a face
at a window I always see
whenever I pass by;
it’s always there,
smiling at me, and I know
the reason why

There’s a face
at a window I always see
if rain makes it blur;
it’s always there,
laughing at me, a rare joy
to remember

There’s a face
at a window I always see,
day and night;
it’s always there,
telling me, for each wrong
there’s a right

There’s a face
at a window I always see
whenever I’m down;
it’s always there,
to lift me, make damn sure
I move on

There’s a window
I always see in smiley faces
passing by;
it’s always there,
reassuring me that our love
will never die

Copyright R. N. Taber 2011


Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home