Monday, 26 August 2013

Making Peace With Love


Love is invariably a win or lose affair.  For the loser, it can take a long time to make peace with love, as we must if we want to move on...

MAKING PEACE WITH LOVE 

I could almost feel it licking at my
heels every step I took;
it cast a feisty shadow every time
I chanced a look;
I began to feel like a missing page
in my own history book

One day I waited, let it catch me up
then moved in,
seized it by the scruff of the neck,
and demanded it explain;
it wrestled me to the ground, left me
writhing in pain

I staggered after summer, still reeling
from its blow,
grabbed it by the hand, insisted I had
a right to know;
it laughed in my face, warned me not
to follow

Ah, but follow I did, down blind alleys
into a shady corner;
we glared at each other, sworn enemies
forever…
but finally trapping jealousy, my shadow
and love, my stalker

It was now or never. Grateful for a choice,
we made our peace
and time since has been more than kind
to us. Though long ago,
that summer’s rogue flame still
lighting good memories

Copyright R. N. Taber 2010; 2016

[Note: This poem first appears in On the Battlefields of Love by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2010; revised ed. in e-format in preparation.]




No comments :