Wednesday, 24 July 2013

Memories, Poems, Flowers OR Love, My Comfort Still

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

It is a well-worn adage and some would say a corny one. Yet, it is so true. Love lasts forever. Whether it is for a partner, family member or close friend…where tragedy strikes, our love for them and theirs for us will mount a rescue operation in due course and replace the burden of grief with the lighter, even humorous touch of happy memories

Now, I refer to God in the poem and regular readers may well wonder why as I am not a religious person. Yet, religion does not have a monopoly on spirituality and God is many things to many people. (I am an agnostic not an atheist while verging on pantheism.) Nor is there any reason that I can see why God should not be female.

I rejected religion for nature even as a child. Yet, who is to say that Nature and God are not the same? However, the bereaved person for whom I wrote the poem happens to be a Christian and I respect that… just as she (unlike many who take their cue from hierarchical interpretations of this religion or that) respects the fact that I am gay and of a more spiritual than religious nature.

Okay, so I am a romantic. But, yes, in my experience, love is one of the few truly blessed aspects of life upon which we can rely to stay with us always…provided we don’t shut it out, for whatever reason.

Love’s continuing growth and flowering remains both a comfort and inspiration…but only if we let it.

MEMORIES, POEMS, FLOWERS or LOVE, MY COMFORT STILL

Whenever tears falling like winter rain
for thinking of your hurt and suffering,
I think of springtime, find you once again
beside me - hopeful, happy, laughing

As my heart cries out in darkest despair,
in pain for the tragedy of your plight,
I think of summertime and see you there,
jumping for joy in the sun’s gentle light

I know, at heart, my prayers will be heard,
if unclear whatever ‘God’ may suggest,
inspired by Omnipresence in one Word
promising love’s spirit eternal rest

Life is more than any NOW, this I know
love, a perennial ( let live, let grow…)

Copyright R. N. Taber 2005; 2013

[Note: An earlier version of this poem appears under the title 'Memories, Prayers, Flowers' in 1st eds. of A Feeling for the Quickness of Time by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2005; revised ed. in e-format in preparation.]

No comments :