A Poet's Blog: Roger N.Taber shares his thoughts & poems...

Thoughts and observations by English poet Roger N. Taber, a retired librarian and poet-novelist.- "Ethnicity, Religion, Gender, Sexuality ... these are but parts of a whole. It is the whole that counts." RNT [NB While I have no wish to create a social network, I will always reply to critical emails about my poetry. Contact: rogertab@aol.com].

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Sadly, a bad fall in 2012 has left me with a mobility problem, and being diagnosed with prostate cancer the same year hasn't helped, but I get out and about with my trusty walking stick as much as I can, take each day as it comes and try to keep looking on the bright(er) side of life. Many of my poems reflect the need to nurture a positive-thinking mindset whatever life throws at us.

Thursday 30 May 2013

Ghosts, No Random Memory


Who has never returned to the scene of a once-love, if only in their mind, and wondered how things might have been if only…?

GHOSTS, NO RANDOM MEMORY

Much rougher the sea
than last we ran here, laughing
on the cliffs,
a spring breeze in our hair;
less kind the sky
than last we kissed there,
bluebells surrounding
a passion brought to bear;
sweet memory, wings
of a friendly gull soaring our dreams,
love’s rhythm to fulfill;
such heat to embrace your body,
and bold! In the vaults
of eternity, our lives grown cold;
salty now, the hair blowing
across my face, thinned
like the heather at our special place

Though huddled in a raincoat,
I, oh, so easily recall the glad heart
that made me thrall…

Gulls squeal! No melody,
but a sure grace
whirling against storm clouds
like a pattern of lace
on an altar cloth, would have
smothered us both

Copyright R. N. Taber 1991; 2010

[Note: This poem has been slightly revised from an earlier version as it appeared in several poetry magazines and an anthology 1996-2004, and subsequently  in 1st eds. of Love And Human Remains by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2001; 2nd (revised) e-edition in preparation.]


Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home