Sunday, 1 July 2012

A Seaside Calendar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

I spent another lovely day in Brighton, Sussex (UK) recently. I love it there and always enjoy time spent at the seaside. 

I have read poems ‘on location’ in Brighton for You Tube that some of you might enjoy although don’t expect the quality of the videos to be up to BBC standards; just follow the link and click on ‘videos’ to browse and view any that might interest you. (I read different poems on each Brighton video):


Meanwhile, as a song goes with which UK readers especially will be familiar, Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside...
{Photo: Pendower, Conwall, taken from the Internet.]

A SEASIDE CALENDAR 

Laughter, freed on summer-scented air
bursts on jaunty wing;
glad eyes shine the dipping gull,
excite twin waves – returns
excelling. Sun on sand.
Oh world, on hand
to greet me

Joy but hushed, the autumn year
devours the sky;
sad eyes shape the dipping gull,
endure each wave – returns
excelling. Sun on sand.
Oh world, on hand
to greet me

Hopes reviewed, wintry ways
break their silence;
bright eyes applaud a solitary bird,
brave each wave – returns
excelling. Sun on sand.
Oh world,on hand
to greet me

Comings, goings, to’ings, fro’ings
in playful flight!
Wide eyes consume a mating pair,
glide twin waves – returns
excelling. Sun on sand.
Oh world, on hand
to greet me

Copyright R. N. Taber 2001; 2012

[Note: This poems has been slightly revised from an earlier version that appears in 1st eds. of  Love And Human Remains by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2001; 2nd (revised) e-edition in preparation.]



No comments :