A Poet's Blog: Roger N.Taber shares his thoughts & poems...

Thoughts and observations by English poet Roger N. Taber, a retired librarian and poet-novelist.- "Ethnicity, Religion, Gender, Sexuality ... these are but parts of a whole. It is the whole that counts." RNT [NB While I have no wish to create a social network, I will always reply to critical emails about my poetry. Contact: rogertab@aol.com].

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Sadly, a bad fall in 2012 has left me with a mobility problem, and being diagnosed with prostate cancer the same year hasn't helped, but I get out and about with my trusty walking stick as much as I can, take each day as it comes and try to keep looking on the bright(er) side of life. Many of my poems reflect the need to nurture a positive-thinking mindset whatever life throws at us.

Sunday 1 July 2012

A Seaside Calendar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

I spent another lovely day in Brighton, Sussex (UK) recently. I love it there and always enjoy time spent at the seaside. 

I have read poems ‘on location’ in Brighton for You Tube that some of you might enjoy although don’t expect the quality of the videos to be up to BBC standards; just follow the link and click on ‘videos’ to browse and view any that might interest you. (I read different poems on each Brighton video):


Meanwhile, as a song goes with which UK readers especially will be familiar, Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside...
{Photo: Pendower, Conwall, taken from the Internet.]

A SEASIDE CALENDAR 

Laughter, on summer-scented air
bursts on jaunty wing;
glad eyes shine the dipping gull,
excite twin waves,
returns excelling. Sun on sand.
Oh world, on hand 
to greet me, make or break, 
whatever

Joy but hushed, the autumn year
devours the sky;
sad eyes shape the dipping gull,
endure each wave,
returns excelling. Sun on sand.
Oh world, on hand 
to greet me, make or break,
whatever...

Hopes reviewed, wintry ways
break their silence;
watery eyes applaud a lone bird,
brave each wave,
returns excelling. Sun on sand.
Oh world, on hand
to greet me, make or break,
whatever...

Comings and goings of n-o-i-s-e
in playful flight;
wide eyes consume a mating pair,
glide twin waves, 
returns excelling. Sun on sand.
Oh. world, on hand 
to greet me, make or break.
whatever...

Copyright R. N. Taber 2000; 2018

[Note: an earlier version of this poem appears in Love and Human Remains by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2000.]



Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home