A Poet's Blog: Roger N.Taber shares his thoughts & poems...

Thoughts and observations by English poet Roger N. Taber, a retired librarian and poet-novelist.- "Ethnicity, Religion, Gender, Sexuality ... these are but parts of a whole. It is the whole that counts." RNT [NB While I have no wish to create a social network, I will always reply to critical emails about my poetry. Contact: rogertab@aol.com].

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Sadly, a bad fall in 2012 has left me with a mobility problem, and being diagnosed with prostate cancer the same year hasn't helped, but I get out and about with my trusty walking stick as much as I can, take each day as it comes and try to keep looking on the bright(er) side of life. Many of my poems reflect the need to nurture a positive-thinking mindset whatever life throws at us.

Saturday 9 June 2012

Joyriders

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

This poem last appeared on the blog in 2010 and I have been asked to repeat it today for ‘Louise P’ because, ‘I love it and it’s my birthday.  My parents as well as my two closest friends read your blog so I’d like to share it with them too as I am working away from home and have not seen them for nearly two years.’

What can I say but, it’s my pleasure Louise and here’s wishing you a very Happy Birthday!

JOYRIDERS

Crawling along a tree’s leaf,
falling among lower branches,
clambering down its trunk,
hitching a joyride on the back
of a grasshopper

Shinning down a weir’s fall,
sending ripples across a pond,
bodies into a cave
sloping down, down, towards
the earth’s axis

Balanced, oh, so precariously
on scales of well-being devised
by nature though humanity
taking credit for an improvised
morality of sorts

Voices in the head calling out
to no one in particular to explain
what humanity has against
nature giving some of us joy rides
to enlightenment

Spinning faster than a pit bull
chasing its tail to give its owner
a good laugh… until it stops,
tossing reason aside as if it were
flesh to a crocodile

Beside a weir, a fine old tree
offers joy rides on a grasshopper
to any who dare, preferring
nature’s passion to an obsession
with one upmanship

Copyright R. N. Taber 2010

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home