A Poet's Blog: Roger N.Taber shares his thoughts & poems...

Thoughts and observations by English poet Roger N. Taber, a retired librarian and poet-novelist.- "Ethnicity, Religion, Gender, Sexuality ... these are but parts of a whole. It is the whole that counts." RNT [NB While I have no wish to create a social network, I will always reply to critical emails about my poetry. Contact: rogertab@aol.com].

Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Sadly, a bad fall in 2012 has left me with a mobility problem, and being diagnosed with prostate cancer the same year hasn't helped, but I get out and about with my trusty walking stick as much as I can, take each day as it comes and try to keep looking on the bright(er) side of life. Many of my poems reflect the need to nurture a positive-thinking mindset whatever life throws at us.

Wednesday 12 January 2011

Lullaby for a Fractious Child

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

A college lecturer has contacted me to say he enjoys some of the stories my poems tell but I should write more 'real' poetry.

So what, I ask myself is 'real' poetry? Whatever...I am as I am, and I write as I write. Many people seem to enjoy my poems and that's good enough for me; at least they are real. As for my critics... [Do I care? Better to be read and found wanting than never read at all. I can't and don't expect every reader to like every poem as I write in many voices, and one reader's pleasure may well not be to another's taste at all. C'est la vie. ]

Meanwhile...

Modern life can be hassle, hassle, and more hassle. Thank goodness for nature and its various retreats from t modern life it offers. I live in Kentish Town, a district of London that is close to Hampstead Heath, the Regent’s Canal and the Regent’s Park. I love them all but especially love strolling on the Heath and enjoying the feeling that I could well be a million miles from the heart of one of the world’s frantically busy cities. London may have lots of cultural treasures to enjoy but without its natural retreats living here would be unbearable.

I would hate to see these retreats and all those like them across this sorry world of ours end up in the hands of property developers. They are, for many of us, a lifeline. Killing off nature is tantamount to manslaughter if not cold-blooded murder.

LULLABY FOR A FRACTIOUS CHILD

In a dream I lay in Earth Mothers arms
as we watched the world passing by,
gladly surrendering to the mixed charms
of a tearful twilight’s ages-old lullaby

We saw fair Apollo turn the grass brown,
humanity and beast alike starve and die,
Poseidon cause even his acolytes to drown,
whose wells and streams already run dry

We witnessed such blind grief and despair
as the Grim Reaper lets drop in his wake,
wept to see how our loved-ones might fare,
made to run the gamut for life’s own sake

Waking, I let Earth Mother wipe my tears,
words of a peace song ringing in my ears

Copyright R. N. Taber 2010, 2019

[Note: This poem has been slightly revised from the version that appears in On the Battlefields of Love by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2010]









Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home