Monday, 8 November 2010

The Spirit Of Love

http://www.authorsden.com/rogerntaber

I hope some of you will have clicked on yesterday's link to my latest caper on You Tube. No one responded to my appeal for someone with more time of their hands than my friend Graham to act as cameraman but we will try and film on a regular basis. I am not discouraged by the fact that someone got in touch yesterday evening to say I should be ashamed of reading a poem about war that 'glorifies' gay people. There is nothing glorious about war. But fighting men and women world-wide deserve our admiration and it has always been a fact that some of them are gay. [Has this man never heard of Wilfred Owen or Siegfried Sassoon, for example?]

Do you think my poem Bonding With History glorifies anything or anyone? You can search for it by title on the blog or see me reading it on You Tube at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRV-di3VZTk (or keyword 'Tower of London Taber' in You Tube.]

Meanwhile...

A reader, ‘Ingrid’ spotted today’s poem on my gay-interest blog in September and has asked me to repeat it here ‘so I can show a Catholic friend who wouldn’t dream of looking at a gay blog because she agrees with the Pope that gay and transgender people are a threat to society regarding morality and positive values.’ Whatever the Pope may or may not have said, the reader clearly thinks this is how his mind works. In the light of what Benedict XVI has been reported as saying about gay and transgender people in the recent past, I for one suspect she may not be far wrong. [A word of caution though, Ingrid. Tread carefully. While I am always pleased when readers want to share a poem of mine with others, the last thing I want to do is come between friends. We may not always agree with our friends but friendship is a treasure that’s easier lost than many of us like to think and much, much harder to regain.]

A gay Catholic man dying of AIDS once confided that, while he did not regret his sexuality, he was scared there may be ‘repercussions’ in what he always referred to as ‘the next life’. He believed in God, if not (quite) the God of his Church. He was also a betting man and seemed reassured when I told him I’d willingly bet my life that, if there is one, there’s no way God is a homophobe.

Okay, I’m biased. But I know my Bible. I, personally, don’t see the historical Jesus as the Son of God but my reading of the New Testament is that Jesus was not the kind of person who would stoop to homophobia. He was a better man than that, much better. There were homosexuals in those days. Does Jesus speak out against them? When Christians attack us, they invariably turn to that same Old Testament whose understanding of God Jesus all but turns on its head. [When those who follow other religions attack us, can they honestly their religion is behind them all the way?]

Regular readers will know that, although I am not a religious man, I like to think I have a strong sense of spirituality…that I take from nature, nowhere else. Moreover, it is a sense of spirituality that reassures me no gay person of any religious persuasion (or none at all) need fear ‘repercussions’ in any ‘next life’ as a direct result of their sexuality.

As for whether or not I think there is life after death, I’d still bet my life on the spirit of love seeing me right in the end…if I were a betting man, that is. [Well, what else would you expect of a poet?]

THE SPIRIT OF LOVE

At the moment of my death
we‘ll make love again, just as
when our first twilight fell,
late summer leaves like a shower
of September rain, nature
casting a spell to keep us safer
than Holy Books dare tell

At the moment of my death
we’ll make love again, creating
as much joy and more
than it has given us, we chosen,
meant to fly time and space,
any separation but a homing-in
on some glorious horizon

At the moment of my death
our love will surely kill all pain,
be as a tree in blossom,
its springtime come again, though
a storm play tricks on its light,
for I shall rise above any threat
to return where first we met

At the moment of my death
the spirit of love will leave a mark
much like a smile on my pillow
and I’ll be guided by Earth Mother
to your side, she who kept faith
with us while we lived as we two,
stayed true to each other

Death may flirt with us night and day
yet will see us right, straight or gay


Copyright R. N. Taber 2010

No comments: