Sunday, 28 November 2010

Heart To Heart

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Several readers have said they have been unable to access my efforts on You Tube.

I can only suggest you try: http://www.youtube.com/rogerNtaber

Or...one reader suggests key wording: ‘You Tube Hampstead Heath poetry reading Roger Taber’ - then clicking on ‘all’ to access our efforts so far; more to follow as and when Graham and I have time and the weather is kind and/ or we can find a way to film indoors and get the lighting right! I should add that Graham (my close friend and cameraman) and I are still on a learning curve!

Someone recently asked me why I bother since I am ‘never likely to take You Tube by storm.’ (Do I care?) It’s fun and that, like one of my favourite people, Ann Widdecombe, is what I have decided my retirement will be about... having fun. Oh, no, I have never met Ann Widdecombe but have always respected her as a politician and think her decision to go for having some fun in retirement - as on the BBC’s Strictly Come Dancing - is a shining example to us all. The lady has completely re-invented herself. She has to be an inspiration to any retired person resigned to being a couch potato!

Meanwhile...

Most of us at some time in our lives have a problem with other people that, unless we put to it them, has the potential to ruin a relationship. How many of us, too, have secrets that are hard to bear? [For sure, it’s not only gay men and women who, for whatever reason, feel unable to be openly gay.]

Mind you, tackling someone about issues that concern them can be frustrating to say the least since so many people can’t or won’t talk things through, especially if it means they have to deal with even the slightest criticism. I have given up on various relatives and friends for this very reason. I put up with so much for so long and did try to get them to talk things through but it was a lost cause. Oh, I dare say they see me as completely to blame but...that’s life.

Is there something or someone preying on your mind? A heart to heart can work wonders. [Did I say it would be easy?]

HEART TO HEART

I told family and friends
how, come what may,
it makes no difference
I’m gay

I am the same person,
sharing with you still
a heartfelt conviction
love is all

If love but pre-conditional
where does that leave us,
supposedly more spiritual
than beasts?

Let those without a dream
cast the first stone


Copyright R. N. Taber 2001; 2010

[Note: This poem has been slightly revised from the original as it appears in first editions of The Third Eye by R. N. Taber, Assembly Books, 2004; 2nd ed. in preparation.]

No comments: